Saturday, January 05, 2008

Blogboard

Sometimes I wish I had access to the Internet when I was still in high school.
Read this amazing article on hindustantimes.com about a Geography teacher in Delhi who has been maintaining a Geography blog "trying to get his students excited about his subject." I saw the blog and was amazed at the kind of things he has posted there. It has puzzles, some wonderful facts, assignments, videos, quotes, sample papers and last but not the least, "Geographic information". View the blog here.
This blog shows Mr. Suryaveer Singh's dedication, devotion, and enthusiasm in making sure that every kid in his school (and other schools too) gets everything in their brain. I am sure he realized that classroom teaching is not always useful especially for subjects like Geography, which sometimes may tend to get a little too boring. Another important point to consider is that Mr. Singh (and other teachers like him) perhaps also consider it their duty to educate the children of our country. They don't just make money - They teach, they enlighten, and encourage children to respect education and learn as much as possible. Achieving such a goal can be a big challenge, and what Mr. Singh and other teachers are doing is absolutely commendable. It is very important to understand the importance of technology, and to use it in an innovative and creative way.
Another teacher who is doing something along the same lines is Ms. Rashmi Kathuria. She is a math teacher in a school in Delhi, and blogs about imortant mathematical concepts. Her blog is very impressive, especially the way she explains everything in terms of the "real world". She cuts carrots to explain ellipses and all that(sorry Ms. Kathuria, I ain't a big math fan!). One slide show that was really impressive was the way she..ummm..well I've forgotten, but it's about how the tangent is equal to the "something else". Check her site, it's a slide show posted in November, and it's got something to do with a circle and tangent. It's a like a theorem or something.
Okay, so I decided not to sound so vague and stupid. I visited her blog and stole this video from there. I still don't know exactly what this is about, but it is pretty cool. In fact, it is terrific.



Coool! Innit?
View more math videos/slide shows on her math blog right here.
I only wish our teachers had done something like this when we were in school. *Sigh*

3 comments:

Rashmi Kathuria said...

Thanks for appreciating the efforts.I believe, its high time that teachers must start taking advantage of technology for making learning, interesting for students. I am pretty happy with the results. Students are now engaged in self learning and improving on basic concepts. Mathematics is no more a phobia .

Rashmi Kathuria said...

Your question is very genuine .How I manage to do this work?
Actually, When I hear from anybody that I hate maths or something like, I was not good in maths....It disturbs me ...being a maths teacher. I want to do some work for the community. So, I do not see the time. I try to do as much as I can do.Also, I look for using different strategies for teaching learning my subject.Rcently I have started with podcasting students maths projects.I have started with a group of passionate teachers on ning http://passionateteachers.ning.com
If you know some teacher who want to learn and share tell them to join.

Thanks for extending help for making a web page.I have no idea of creating it.

Rashmi Kathuria said...

Yes you may add the link to your blog.