Wednesday, January 09, 2008

Samosas!

Warning: Explicit Content ;)!
Was watching The Big Bang Theory last night and was enlightened about a tiny little hindi slang word that I was just not aware of. Here are a few dialogs from that episode that will help you understand what i am really referring to:
Dialog 1 (Raj's parents are voice chatting with him from New Delhi (lol!). They recently got a brand new broadband connection (lol again!):
Raj's mom: "Do you remember Lalita Gupta?"
Raj: "That little fat girl who used to kick me in the samosas and call me untouchable?"
Dialog 2 (this is after Raj met Lalita Gupta. His parents are voice chatting with him again to know how it went):
Raj's mom: "You are wearing the boxers that we sent you, aren't you Rajesh?"
Raj: "Yes mummy."
Raj's Mom: "Because you know what happens to the samosas when you wear the tidy whities.."
Raj: "Can you please stop talking about my testicles?"
And there it was. I suddenly realized that testicles are (now?) called Samosas in hindi slang! I was dumbfounded, stupified, and laughed my lungs out! Samosas? Boy! Who would have though of that.
Did you guys know that Testicles are reffered to as Samosas? Please tell me I am not ignorant. Please tell me this is something new.
How could that word be not part of my dictionary? How did all my friends not use that word at all during daily life conversation? I thought I knew all the bad words, but I guess I was wrong! Did my ignorance/apathy/ennui discourage me from updating my already stunted vocabulary? Was I hanging around with the wrong people? (lol!)
I am sure the new generation kids from India came up with this word. However, I must admit that I found this word absolutely hilarious!!

5 comments:

Ashish Nair said...

yeah.. life is steaming towards 30!... and I don't have the bloody samosaas to keep up ;)

Kunal said...

"I thought I knew all the bad words"

That's because you knew all the bad words, not their clean counterparts ;-) LOL.

No seriously, did you think that it's because no one actually uses that term in India. It's simply lazy script-writing from the writers, who just thought of coming up with an Indian term for testicles and of course having no idea about the real "slangs" used in India, "samosas" are the best they could come up with. Makes sense?

Unknown said...

Ashish: I think I will never eat samosas again. This is like the matthhi joke. Have you heard it? Ask Vinayak, I told him that joke once (I think). After hearing that joke you will stop eating matthhi with chai.

Kunal: What you say makes perfect sense. And I guess samosa sounds pretty decent too, unlike "tatte" or "gotiyan".lol!!

Ashish Nair said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Ashish Nair said...

Yes .. the famous "matthi joke".. in fact we had a good laugh a few weeks back while we were having.. read on .. matthi and chai at Sandeep tea stall..!! and talking about "Samosas".. I am sure it is served as a delicacy in some part of this world!