Sunday, August 13, 2006

R.E.M.


A realization.

Goblin's friend came over the other day. I said Hi to her and generally asked where she was from. My heart skipped a beat the moment she said she was from Athens. I went back in time, 12 years back to be precise, when I started listening to R.E.M. I remembered how R.E.M. had influenced my life when I was a kid, what I had learnt from them and all the other reasons why I worship the band.
That night I remembered how I used to discuss potential trips to New York or Niagara or wherever with friends. Yes, travelling was, I guess the sole intention, but the only thing that was bothering me was that I ignored Athens, GA all the while. Big deal? Not really. But I kind of felt guilty. I felt that I have ignored R.E.M. the entire year.

And then last night I was telling Akash and Jimi the same thing, you know - "I have ignored R.E.M." and all. They both looked stupefied/ dumbfounded. They both had this " What are you talking about?" look on their faces. Ya, I know that happens when the other person does not know what you are talking about, and when your ideas are absolutely extreme and sound childish.

I have planned to visit Athens in December ( If I have the money, that is).

"Adventure has laid its claim on you
It's all you want to do.You
You know where to run
You run Electron Blue."

1 comment:

Victim Of Desire said...

I totally understand...and i wish ke tujhe jaane ka chance mile... coz everybody else might hurt...but R.E.M will def. come to your rescue in those times :)