Monday, August 18, 2008

Three Cups of Tea...


Greg Mortenson will be in Rockford, IL next month, and I am seriously planning to go and see him. Those of you who do not know who Greg Mortenson is, please read his book "Three Cups of Tea.." or follow one of the links on the right sidebar. What he has done to educate muslim girls in Pakistan is commendable - started with a failed attempt to scale the K2 and ended up (no, still going) with building schools in the remotest of regions in Pakistan, where fund from the government do not reach (perhaps because the government is not interested in educating children in those regions).

It's good to see that people still conform to humanity and morality. I want to do something very similar - but where, when and how? I don't know. I would perhaps write a letter to Dr. Gireg and ask him for suggestions. I am pretty sure I would not be able to volunteer in Pakistan, but if he has some kind of a desk job for me, I would be more than willing to do it :-).

Greg Mortenson - remember this name. You might hear this name again in the coming decade or two - when he wins his Nobel Peace Prize :-).

No comments: