Sunday, March 30, 2008

Spend Spend Spend!!!!!

Today I decided to check out the Walmart super center that recently opened in this town. Well, the motivation to go there actually came from the salary deposit in my bank account last night. To be honest, I really did not need anything from there. But then, as the wise men say, old habits die hard, and the habit we are discussing here is not going to a superstore on saturday afternoons, but actually spending money - wherever and however possible.

For some reason I took the cart today instead of the usual basket, and a cart usually means a bigger bill at the checkout counter. I bought a few useless things, and by useless I mean stuff that I don't "really" need - a webcam, kitchen towels (have 5 of them already), screwdriver (have two sets already), wrenches (seriously?), a radio clock (Got two of those), night lamp in the shape of a tea kettle (no way dude!), guitar picks, and a few more things. But honestly, the number of items were around ten to twelve, that's how I qualified to get into the express checkout counter. The lady at the counter was nice. She asked me if I played the guitar - I said I try. The kettle shaped night lamp actually brought a smile to her face :). She thought it was cute. I said it was funny.

Then it happened. After ringing all the items she said, "One O Seven please". While paying for stuff I usually don't pay attention to the amount that the person says - I just swipe my card and give my autograph on the electronic card machine (whatever it's called). But today was not any other day. I was about to swipe my card when I suddenly thought to myself - "now wait a minute. Is it really One O Seven bucks? The lady must have made a mistake while ringing all the items". But after two seconds I did swipe my card. She gave me the receipt and said that I should have a good afternoon. I reciprocated and while walking out of the store decided to do a manual addition. I pulled out the receipt from my pocket and started adding numbers. When the first four items (out of ten or twelve) added up to fifty, I stopped. I had no doubts about the (mis) calculations anymore.

From Walmart I went to Fareway to buy some grocery - basically beer. I usually get Ice House because I think that beer can really give you an orgasm, plus it's cheap, perhaps the cheapest. If I don't feel like drinking Ice House, I get my favorite beer - Rolling Rock. Since my day was already screwed (in terms of careless expenditure, that is), I decided to go on a rampage. I paid an extra dollar and bought Leinenkugel.

Then in the evening I did not feel like cooking anything, so I decided to get something from Subway. I went there and bought not one, but two footlongs. Yes, Footlongs. Two. Not One. And then on my way back home I stopped at Gumby and got ten chicken wings from there.

F*ck!

So actually, this story can tell you a lot about me. When I decide to screw up, I do it big time. If you don't believe me, go ask the credit card companies.

Doesn't the Fed just love people like me these days?

No comments: